Skip to main content

Three Tickets Please


This little beauty, our oldest child, is coming with us to Ethiopia!  We took her today to apply for her passport!  Quinn will be 10 years old in late summer and although Todd and I would have loved to have her come with us to Ethiopia from first thought, we just weren't sure.  We have our own apprehensions about traveling to a foreign country, the flight, the foods, the planning, the safety of it all, but after researching, talking to others, and praying about it, we decided to give Quinn the option of coming with us during our second trip to Ethiopia.  Our first trip is for meeting the children and to appear before the court.  Then we return home while the children remain in the foster care home and their visas will be processed.  The second trip will be a few weeks maybe a month (hopefully) later to pick up the kids! Reasoning that Todd and I would have already felt things out during our first trip, and be able to better prepare Quinn for the big adventure, we asked her what she thought about it all.

Here is her written response to "interview" questions that I asked her:

Why do you want to go to Ethiopia? 
"I think it will be neat to be around different animals and see a different land.  But most of all to bring home Tarik and Elsa."

What made you decide to go?
"Talking about it, watching videos, and learning about the country made me feel more comfortable."

Was God of help to you in this decision? and how?
"He provided ways to pay for my ticket. Mom and I were praying for that.  He made me feel safe about going."

Find a bible verse that brings you comfort when you think of your worries for the trip.
"2 Timothy 1:7 'God hath not given us the spirit of fear but of power and a sound mind."

What are your two biggest fears for the trip?
"That I won't get bored on the plane ride.  And that I won't get sick from the food."

What are your most looking forward to  for the trip?
"To see Tarik and Elsa."

What do you think it will be like seeing your brother and sister for the first time? 
"Maybe that they will be a little bit shy to come to me, but still they will come to me.  I will feel excited and happy."

We are very excited for Quinn to be joining us on this trip!  We are praying about it too and that this experience will be dear to her heart in many ways.  Please keep her in your prayers too as we pray for health and safety and good experiences for her during this opportunity to be a part of the adoption process in this way!! God is already there, He holds our time table, He knows our adoption travel plans and dates already. Excited to jump on board with His paths for our lives!

Isaiah 25:1 "O Lord, you are my God; I will exalt you and praise your name, for in perfect faithfulness you have done marvelous things, things planned long ago."  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Airplane Tray Table Cover for Travel!

In my part of the world, the popular sport of choice for this season is sewing.  Sewing?  Yes, well, it's a winter sport for me with its challenges, obstacles, and skills to be improved upon!  Not to mention that it hasn't been above 10 degrees Fahrenheit for near a month and with wind chills at -25 to -40 tonight, one just has to stay inside in the comfy cozy walls of home! Out comes the sewing machine and projects left behind from seasons past.  This time, I decided to tackle a new project that will be put to good use in the future: an Airplane Tray Table Cover for future traveling!  Thinking of sunny Ethiopia just brightens the mood from the winter blues too! After searching the web, and viewing images of other "airplane tray table covers" (search it, you'll find them), I decided to create my own.  This is pic is of my first attempt.  Overall, it turned out fine and I am happy with the end result.  To give you an idea, this would slip over...

Miserly Moms Recipes

After posting some ideas about tips for the family budget, I had many positive responses and am encouraged that many of you will be putting forth an effort to set a food budget and stay within that budget.  Take a visit here to view the previous post. Miserly Moms by Jonni McCoy is an excellent resource for money saving tips, menus, recipes, and family organization.  After looking it up on Amazon, apparently my copy is the "collectable" edition...oh geez, that makes me feel old.  There is a newer edition that Jonni has available in a Kindle version for $7.99 .  Note: Kindles weren't invented yet when I was starting out as a SAHM (Stay At Home Mom)  Ha.ha.laugh.   Here are some highlights from the book (the one made of paper) :   1. Don't Confuse Frugality with Depriving Yourself  2. Remove Little Wasters of Your Money 3. Don't Buy Everything at the Same Store 4. Make Your Own Whenever Possible 5. Eliminate Convenience Foods ...

The "firsts" that I don't want to share

The firsts that I don't want to share. When we started our adoption process nearly 3 years ago, Christmas was always a mile marker.  We began in December 2012 and Christmas was always the one event that we wished for Tarik to be home. "Maybe next Christmas" turned into "maybe next Christmas."  When asked when we thought that Tarik would be home, we'd say, "hopefully by Christmas." The holidays were hard in the waiting time and just wanting the family to all be together for those holiday moments pulled at our hearts.   Finally, this year, 2015 was our first Christmas home with our new son!  And the reality of Christmas, couldn't have been farther from what I ever imagined of our first Christmas to be together.  It was Tarik's first Christmas home.  A time to celebrate and be joyful!  After all this time of waiting.  But it also turned into the first Christmas without my dad.  Not a 'first' I want to share. My dad is a heal...