Skip to main content

Adoption? In the Beginning...

NOTE:  I wrote this post in 2012 when God first stirred our hearts for adoption.  Sorry for the re-post but I have to link it in another current (March 2014) post that I'm writing!!  This is on our home page in the tab "Adoption? Go." Well, if you are new to learning about our journey, you can catch up and see where we began and where God continues to lead! 


Let's Do This!   

And what’s one more, or even two, when there is already a crew? Yes, we are on a mission to adopt internationally! What’s one more load of laundry on a Saturday afternoon, one more plate at the table, one more picture on the wall, one more hug good night?  It is hope, a dream come true, and love that may never have been known before to one precious child.  One matters and we want to be the change for one. 

“We love because He first loved us.” I John 4:19  Join us in our journey to adopt!  Stop in any time, browse around, we’ll share with you!

Go Time.

God first softened our hearts for adoption when the kids and I, Erin, were learning about an orphanage in Haiti during our church's vacation bible school.  Each day a video clip was shared and information presented on the needs of these children and the honorable missionaries who gave them care.  The collection plate was passed around each night.

The hustle bustle of rushing through dinner, gathering shoes for the kids, and hoping to be out the door on time to arrive to bible school, I quickly grabbed a handful of change from the coin jar so the kids could participate in the offering.  Not wanting to forget anything on my checklist to get to church, I forgot something way bigger - what "offering" truly means.  I held a few nickels in my hand that night as the plate was passed and prayed forgiveness for my selfishness, ignorance, and lack of compassion.  I felt my spirit cry and say, "Nickels?  Really?  That's all you could give? That's all you could offer as a sacrifice to these orphans - to God's precious children who are desperate for care?"

That was my moment.  It hit me hard, that tug of the Lord.  And yet, I talked myself out of it explaining to God that I did enough already: gave up my career to stay home with the kids, gave my time to home school, gave my wish list away to be a one income family...well that didn't last long and He set me straight.  He pointed me to Hosea 6:6 and His words say, "I don't want your sacrifices, I want your love; I don't want your offerings, I want you to know me."  He doesn't want my list of 'I do this and that,' He wants my love and to be understood.  Who is He and how can I know Him?  God is Love. We can know Him by His example of Love found in His word, the Bible. Love others? We can do that.  We can give that to His children in need.

I John 4:16 "We have come to know and have believed the love which God has for us. God is love, and the one who abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him."

Continually God has confirmed that the decision to adopt is right for our family and we will continue to obey, trust, and learn more about His love. We learn through doing.  Love is an action, not just a phrase. So as we "go" on this adoption journey, it is more specifically a journey of Love.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Airplane Tray Table Cover for Travel!

In my part of the world, the popular sport of choice for this season is sewing.  Sewing?  Yes, well, it's a winter sport for me with its challenges, obstacles, and skills to be improved upon!  Not to mention that it hasn't been above 10 degrees Fahrenheit for near a month and with wind chills at -25 to -40 tonight, one just has to stay inside in the comfy cozy walls of home! Out comes the sewing machine and projects left behind from seasons past.  This time, I decided to tackle a new project that will be put to good use in the future: an Airplane Tray Table Cover for future traveling!  Thinking of sunny Ethiopia just brightens the mood from the winter blues too! After searching the web, and viewing images of other "airplane tray table covers" (search it, you'll find them), I decided to create my own.  This is pic is of my first attempt.  Overall, it turned out fine and I am happy with the end result.  To give you an idea, this would slip over...

Miserly Moms Recipes

After posting some ideas about tips for the family budget, I had many positive responses and am encouraged that many of you will be putting forth an effort to set a food budget and stay within that budget.  Take a visit here to view the previous post. Miserly Moms by Jonni McCoy is an excellent resource for money saving tips, menus, recipes, and family organization.  After looking it up on Amazon, apparently my copy is the "collectable" edition...oh geez, that makes me feel old.  There is a newer edition that Jonni has available in a Kindle version for $7.99 .  Note: Kindles weren't invented yet when I was starting out as a SAHM (Stay At Home Mom)  Ha.ha.laugh.   Here are some highlights from the book (the one made of paper) :   1. Don't Confuse Frugality with Depriving Yourself  2. Remove Little Wasters of Your Money 3. Don't Buy Everything at the Same Store 4. Make Your Own Whenever Possible 5. Eliminate Convenience Foods ...

The "firsts" that I don't want to share

The firsts that I don't want to share. When we started our adoption process nearly 3 years ago, Christmas was always a mile marker.  We began in December 2012 and Christmas was always the one event that we wished for Tarik to be home. "Maybe next Christmas" turned into "maybe next Christmas."  When asked when we thought that Tarik would be home, we'd say, "hopefully by Christmas." The holidays were hard in the waiting time and just wanting the family to all be together for those holiday moments pulled at our hearts.   Finally, this year, 2015 was our first Christmas home with our new son!  And the reality of Christmas, couldn't have been farther from what I ever imagined of our first Christmas to be together.  It was Tarik's first Christmas home.  A time to celebrate and be joyful!  After all this time of waiting.  But it also turned into the first Christmas without my dad.  Not a 'first' I want to share. My dad is a heal...