Skip to main content

Our Jelly Bread

Imagine a little boy, by his bedside with his head bowed, eyes closed, and hands folded to pray.  He recites with his mother, the Lord's prayer:

Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.
Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our jelly bread.
And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: 
For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. 
Amen.

Our jelly bread. Cute! Well, bread is better with jelly!  And you know what?  Recently, in our waiting and waiting to get our son through international adoption, the Lord has been teaching me to look for the jelly on my daily bread.  Among this trial and tough time in our lives I learn more each day about God's love for me, my family in my home, our little boy overseas, and for all believers whom He loves. We stand on His promises and His faithfulness never waivers.    

In Matthew 7, Jesus is teaching and says, verse 7 "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.  8 For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened." 

And look at these verses, 9 "Which of you, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? 10 Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? 11 If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in Heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!"  

When we ask the Lord the desires of our heart, and we feel like we ask the same requests over and over again with no answers coming, it is not that the Lord doesn't hear us, nor that He isn't answering our prayers.  Look at the scriptures we just read.  He will not give us a stone when we ask for bread.  He responds, and He gives us the bread; He gives us the goodness.  More than what we even understand how to give goodness, He gives us goodness.  Remember that God is Love so nothing that He does can be outside of love.  It isn't His nature.  It isn't His character.

So although I can ask until I'm blue in the face, "Lord please bring our Tarik home," the truth is that each day that we wait, isn't a stone given to me.  It is bread.  A beautiful day with blessings and joy if only we rest in that truth and in HIS faithfulness we will see the jelly bread not stones.

Give us this day our Jelly bread.  Give us this day our daily bread.  And daily, that goodness is given to us.  Daily. Only one serving at a time. I count the days that we are waiting.  I watch the calendar as time passes.  But it has been made clear to me that these days are not stones piling up, but days of daily goodness in which I need to Trust in the Father who gives every good and perfect gift.

James 1:17  Whatever is good and perfect is a gift coming down to us from God our Father, who created all the lights in the heavens.[a] He never changes or casts a shifting shadow.

"Lord God, help me to keep up my courage and have faith in You that things will happen just as You said. (Acts 27:25)."*

Help me to see the gift of jelly bread in each day and not stones.

"Mighty God, help me to understand that I've been called by You to walk by faith and not by sight. (2 Cor. 5:7) Strengthen my spiritual vision, Lord!"*



*Praying God's Word, Beth Moore

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Airplane Tray Table Cover for Travel!

In my part of the world, the popular sport of choice for this season is sewing.  Sewing?  Yes, well, it's a winter sport for me with its challenges, obstacles, and skills to be improved upon!  Not to mention that it hasn't been above 10 degrees Fahrenheit for near a month and with wind chills at -25 to -40 tonight, one just has to stay inside in the comfy cozy walls of home! Out comes the sewing machine and projects left behind from seasons past.  This time, I decided to tackle a new project that will be put to good use in the future: an Airplane Tray Table Cover for future traveling!  Thinking of sunny Ethiopia just brightens the mood from the winter blues too! After searching the web, and viewing images of other "airplane tray table covers" (search it, you'll find them), I decided to create my own.  This is pic is of my first attempt.  Overall, it turned out fine and I am happy with the end result.  To give you an idea, this would slip over the airplane tra

Details, Details, and What Can We Do?

It's a girl!  Thank you for the excitement and prayers of joy for us as we announced our next adoption! We have kept our finger on the pulse in the adoption world since bringing home our son, and all I can contribute finding out about this adoption is by the direction of God the Father.  He "places the lonely in families!" - Psalm 68:6  I know that everyone is anxious to know more details, trust me, I know it's part of the excitement to hear the scoop! What I can say is that she is 7 years old and very petite.  She has brown eyes, brown curly hair, and beautiful brown skin.  Her smile is contagious and her eyes show that she is spunky inside of that tiny frame.  She loves to laugh and eat pie! What I can't say is all of her story.  It's very complicated, emotionally complex, broken. And at her age of understanding all that is going on around her, well, it's her story and we want to respect that privacy for her.  While this is a time of joy and cele

Miserly Moms Recipes

After posting some ideas about tips for the family budget, I had many positive responses and am encouraged that many of you will be putting forth an effort to set a food budget and stay within that budget.  Take a visit here to view the previous post. Miserly Moms by Jonni McCoy is an excellent resource for money saving tips, menus, recipes, and family organization.  After looking it up on Amazon, apparently my copy is the "collectable" edition...oh geez, that makes me feel old.  There is a newer edition that Jonni has available in a Kindle version for $7.99 .  Note: Kindles weren't invented yet when I was starting out as a SAHM (Stay At Home Mom)  Ha.ha.laugh.   Here are some highlights from the book (the one made of paper) :   1. Don't Confuse Frugality with Depriving Yourself  2. Remove Little Wasters of Your Money 3. Don't Buy Everything at the Same Store 4. Make Your Own Whenever Possible 5. Eliminate Convenience Foods 6. Cut Back on Meats