Skip to main content

Sandwiches Teamwork Style


Along with the paper collection of our home study, appointments, and inspections, we are also preparing for our adoption with Ethiopia by preparing our biological children for the soon coming changes in the family.  The joining of a new family member is an exciting adventure as it brings a new personality to learn about, new temperaments to adjust to, and new likes and dislikes in that special child!  With all these little people living under one roof, there are times when mom is not so available to everyone at every moment.  

For me, meal time hits the top of the list of the times where I wish I could race into the nearest phone booth, spin around, and become Super Woman!  Well, I do have a pantry closet I could spin in and put an apron on!  That'll have to do.  

It probably doesn't help that I'm not very confident in the kitchen, not a great cook, and therefore not good at the timing of having all the meal ready at once. I try to adjust for this weakness by using one of my strengths and that is....planning!  I have a weekly menu schedule and this helps me to get prepared and plan out the meals of breakfast, lunch, and dinner everyday.   

Back to the little people and their needs, our family is practicing team building skills to promote cooperation and appreciation for each member of team Vogtman! This lunch activity gave us an easy opportunity to work on our skills.  Here is what we did: 

Sandwich Building Assembly Line 

1. We put many options of sandwiches making foods on the table.  Things like: sliced chicken, deli ham, jelly, peanut butter, veggies, tortilla wraps, and sliced bread....
2.  We started with an empty plate in front of one child.  He/she requested their sandwich type. 
3. The plate was passed to the next child who started to create the sandwich at step 1, the bread type.  Then the plate was passed to the next child who added another ingredient.  This continued around the table until the sandwich was created as politely requested.  
4.  Then the next child requested his/her sandwich and we continued the assembly line.  

This simple task created many opportunities to talk about the following:

* listening to other's request and respecting them even if that's not what you would have preferred

* taking turns 

*practicing patience

*gratitude for services other provide for us



And there you have it! Teamwork building over a pleasant lunch time with the children!  It's a win-win for the kids and for mom! 

Just to add a funny story from a once hectic lunchtime.  I was spinning around the kitchen in my supermom apron, and kids were requesting things left and right.  "Can I have some ketchup?" "Can I have a drink please?" "Is there any jelly left?" "What time is it?" "I have to go pee" "Are we out of napkins?"....you get the idea, it was toooo much.  I was dashing and dodging around when it hit me that this was not going to be a way of normalcy in our kitchen.  I told the kids, in a near frustrating voice (as I was very frustrated, but trying to hold it in), "Mommy is not an octopus.  I only  have two arms to help four kids so you'll have to...." and just then my 4 year old interjected and sweetly said with those big brown eyes shinning, "Well, if you were an octopus then we'd never learn our patience!"  PERFECTLY stated! We still use that saying when things start to get overwhelming with demands: 

"If I were an octopus you'd never learn  patience." 

Thanks for checking in! Come again!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Airplane Tray Table Cover for Travel!

In my part of the world, the popular sport of choice for this season is sewing.  Sewing?  Yes, well, it's a winter sport for me with its challenges, obstacles, and skills to be improved upon!  Not to mention that it hasn't been above 10 degrees Fahrenheit for near a month and with wind chills at -25 to -40 tonight, one just has to stay inside in the comfy cozy walls of home! Out comes the sewing machine and projects left behind from seasons past.  This time, I decided to tackle a new project that will be put to good use in the future: an Airplane Tray Table Cover for future traveling!  Thinking of sunny Ethiopia just brightens the mood from the winter blues too! After searching the web, and viewing images of other "airplane tray table covers" (search it, you'll find them), I decided to create my own.  This is pic is of my first attempt.  Overall, it turned out fine and I am happy with the end result.  To give you an idea, this would slip over the airplane tra

Details, Details, and What Can We Do?

It's a girl!  Thank you for the excitement and prayers of joy for us as we announced our next adoption! We have kept our finger on the pulse in the adoption world since bringing home our son, and all I can contribute finding out about this adoption is by the direction of God the Father.  He "places the lonely in families!" - Psalm 68:6  I know that everyone is anxious to know more details, trust me, I know it's part of the excitement to hear the scoop! What I can say is that she is 7 years old and very petite.  She has brown eyes, brown curly hair, and beautiful brown skin.  Her smile is contagious and her eyes show that she is spunky inside of that tiny frame.  She loves to laugh and eat pie! What I can't say is all of her story.  It's very complicated, emotionally complex, broken. And at her age of understanding all that is going on around her, well, it's her story and we want to respect that privacy for her.  While this is a time of joy and cele

Miserly Moms Recipes

After posting some ideas about tips for the family budget, I had many positive responses and am encouraged that many of you will be putting forth an effort to set a food budget and stay within that budget.  Take a visit here to view the previous post. Miserly Moms by Jonni McCoy is an excellent resource for money saving tips, menus, recipes, and family organization.  After looking it up on Amazon, apparently my copy is the "collectable" edition...oh geez, that makes me feel old.  There is a newer edition that Jonni has available in a Kindle version for $7.99 .  Note: Kindles weren't invented yet when I was starting out as a SAHM (Stay At Home Mom)  Ha.ha.laugh.   Here are some highlights from the book (the one made of paper) :   1. Don't Confuse Frugality with Depriving Yourself  2. Remove Little Wasters of Your Money 3. Don't Buy Everything at the Same Store 4. Make Your Own Whenever Possible 5. Eliminate Convenience Foods 6. Cut Back on Meats