Skip to main content

The Three Hour Tour

(You have to sing this post to the tune of "Gilligan's Island"- it's an old show's theme song  for you young people)

This is a tale of a man and wife who had a heart to adopt,
They had their home study agent come visit the house today.
Questions were asked and rooms were inspected....A three hour tour, a three hour tour....

Ok, I won't torture you any longer with my song writing talents/lack of, but I did want to post about our passing this phase of our home study- drum roll please.... the home visit and family interviews by our case worker!  This was our second required meeting of three total required meetings.  The first was just an brief hello meeting and we met at a coffee shop.  The second meeting, well, that was today!  Our case worker came to the house to interview us the parents, and our two older children, Quinn is 9 and Roosky is almost 7.  She also had to interview our college renter/21 yr. old friend who is living with us, and then interview a reference of ours which was my dear friend Paige.  Then there was the house tour too.  It was a long three hours of juggling conversations and kids, but everything went fine.

I'll just say it was a real picture of us and here's why:

1. Everyone arrived at once.  Although I had scheduled for separate arrival times, someone was late, someone was early, etc. So this made for a grand entrance of excitement from the kids.  They were especially excited to see our college friend who just came back to stay with us this very moment to start his new semester.  Hugs and hellos.  It's a true reflection of our attempt at planning, but we've learned that plans barely work and to just roll with it.
2. Buggy, our just turned 5 year old stuck out her tongue at her little brother.  She also came up to me saying that there was an emergency.  It went like this, "mom, there's a real emergency here. My earring fell out.  Is that an emergency?" and I reply, "no, it isn't." "Well, can you put it back in anyway?" she says.  Cutie and perfectly her little self.
3. When my son, Roosky was asked if he wanted the new children to be boys or girls he replied, "Boys.  And the first thing I'm going to teach them is how to tease the girls."  It's true, his ornery side is seen first.  Just after that statement he said, "Then I'm going to teach them sign language.  You know they won't know our language so I'm going to show them this:" and he held up the 'I love you' sign.  True to form, Roosky does have a thoughtful tender heart under all that boy-ness.
4. Quinn, the oldest daughter had everyone in the basement playroom playing an organized game of horses and was entertaining everyone while mommy and daddy sat at the table answering questions from the case worker.  Again, this is her, she's the planner and leader in the bunch.
5.  The littlest, MJ, is 2 1/2 and is just potty trained for 2 weeks now.  While mom and dad are sitting at the table answering questions with the caseworker, MJ comes waddling- I mean straddle walking- can you picture this?- and says, "mom, I gotta go poo."  Um, well, that's a long story there, but you can just imagine.

Thankful to have yet another check mark on the list of adoption processes and to be one more step closer to meeting our new family members! 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Airplane Tray Table Cover for Travel!

In my part of the world, the popular sport of choice for this season is sewing.  Sewing?  Yes, well, it's a winter sport for me with its challenges, obstacles, and skills to be improved upon!  Not to mention that it hasn't been above 10 degrees Fahrenheit for near a month and with wind chills at -25 to -40 tonight, one just has to stay inside in the comfy cozy walls of home! Out comes the sewing machine and projects left behind from seasons past.  This time, I decided to tackle a new project that will be put to good use in the future: an Airplane Tray Table Cover for future traveling!  Thinking of sunny Ethiopia just brightens the mood from the winter blues too! After searching the web, and viewing images of other "airplane tray table covers" (search it, you'll find them), I decided to create my own.  This is pic is of my first attempt.  Overall, it turned out fine and I am happy with the end result.  To give you an idea, this would slip over the airplane tra

Details, Details, and What Can We Do?

It's a girl!  Thank you for the excitement and prayers of joy for us as we announced our next adoption! We have kept our finger on the pulse in the adoption world since bringing home our son, and all I can contribute finding out about this adoption is by the direction of God the Father.  He "places the lonely in families!" - Psalm 68:6  I know that everyone is anxious to know more details, trust me, I know it's part of the excitement to hear the scoop! What I can say is that she is 7 years old and very petite.  She has brown eyes, brown curly hair, and beautiful brown skin.  Her smile is contagious and her eyes show that she is spunky inside of that tiny frame.  She loves to laugh and eat pie! What I can't say is all of her story.  It's very complicated, emotionally complex, broken. And at her age of understanding all that is going on around her, well, it's her story and we want to respect that privacy for her.  While this is a time of joy and cele

Miserly Moms Recipes

After posting some ideas about tips for the family budget, I had many positive responses and am encouraged that many of you will be putting forth an effort to set a food budget and stay within that budget.  Take a visit here to view the previous post. Miserly Moms by Jonni McCoy is an excellent resource for money saving tips, menus, recipes, and family organization.  After looking it up on Amazon, apparently my copy is the "collectable" edition...oh geez, that makes me feel old.  There is a newer edition that Jonni has available in a Kindle version for $7.99 .  Note: Kindles weren't invented yet when I was starting out as a SAHM (Stay At Home Mom)  Ha.ha.laugh.   Here are some highlights from the book (the one made of paper) :   1. Don't Confuse Frugality with Depriving Yourself  2. Remove Little Wasters of Your Money 3. Don't Buy Everything at the Same Store 4. Make Your Own Whenever Possible 5. Eliminate Convenience Foods 6. Cut Back on Meats