Skip to main content

Barking Up the Wrong Tree part 1

Have you ever heard the idiom, "barking up the wrong tree?" It's an old saying that is basically describing someone who was wasting their energy chasing after the wrong thing.  Maybe they were on the right 'scent' for a little while, then it went crazy and the end result was, well, the wrong tree. You know, like a dog was on the trail of a squirrel, then the squirrel did a switch-a-roo and the dog ended up barking up the wrong tree?
Well, I've been there, putting efforts into the 'wrong tree' thinking I had the target in sight- I had the goal just were I wanted it and all I had to do was make a little noise and it'd be all mine for the taking.  That is until God decided to set me straight, point out my wrong path, and of all places He sent me to the bible book of Haggai to call me off the tree. Is there a book of Haggai? Who? What? We'll get there in a minute.

You see, I was chasing after earthly dreams that had no heavenly worth. I wanted to do what I wanted to do and thought that I knew the best way to reach these goals.  Funny thing happened- I didn't get very far.  Nothing worked out despite my strong efforts.  Paths didn't join up, the road was bumpy and well, it was the "wrong tree."  It was very frustrating to me when I was calling out for God to guide me but that the plans, my plans, weren't working out.  Seems silly, and I know you can see where I'm going with this, but when you are in the momentum of chasing that squirrel you are passionate about the squirrel and the squirrel alone.  It isn't until you feel the confusion of the 'switch-a-roo' that you realize you are the fool.  That's when God stepped in. When I let go. That is when I finally relaxed and just let God.  In hind sight, of course God was there guiding me all along.  Just not in the direction I thought to go.  He is so good in that way isn't He?

Am I confusing you with my analogy?  Here it is in plain English, no idiom included:  I was seeking after my desires and not what God desired for me to do.  My ways didn't work.  In His mercy, He showed me His plans for my life. And ever since I've given up my selfish ways and turned my life entirely up to Him...well, I'm stickin' with His ways.  His ways are perfect.

"In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps."
I've done this several times in my life, the barking up my own tree and not setting my sites on what God had in mind thing.  I'm sure I'll be there again, and again, and He will be there for me patiently redirecting me (again).

I realized that I've made the wrong move so I sat down with my Bible and flipped it open.  Whatever I landed on, I was going to read for I didn't really have anything particular that I was searching for.  Of all places, God showed me the book of Haggai.  "Really?" I thought, "Haggai? How is that Old Testament book going to help me?  I couldn't even locate the book of Haggai if someone asked me to let alone that it's going to enlighten me somehow.  Oh I'm wrong again. Did you ever read Haggai?

I'll give you a chance to take a read....and I'll continue this post to share what God laid on my heart through the words of Haggai.   Tune in next time!








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Airplane Tray Table Cover for Travel!

In my part of the world, the popular sport of choice for this season is sewing.  Sewing?  Yes, well, it's a winter sport for me with its challenges, obstacles, and skills to be improved upon!  Not to mention that it hasn't been above 10 degrees Fahrenheit for near a month and with wind chills at -25 to -40 tonight, one just has to stay inside in the comfy cozy walls of home! Out comes the sewing machine and projects left behind from seasons past.  This time, I decided to tackle a new project that will be put to good use in the future: an Airplane Tray Table Cover for future traveling!  Thinking of sunny Ethiopia just brightens the mood from the winter blues too! After searching the web, and viewing images of other "airplane tray table covers" (search it, you'll find them), I decided to create my own.  This is pic is of my first attempt.  Overall, it turned out fine and I am happy with the end result.  To give you an idea, this would slip over the airplane tra

Details, Details, and What Can We Do?

It's a girl!  Thank you for the excitement and prayers of joy for us as we announced our next adoption! We have kept our finger on the pulse in the adoption world since bringing home our son, and all I can contribute finding out about this adoption is by the direction of God the Father.  He "places the lonely in families!" - Psalm 68:6  I know that everyone is anxious to know more details, trust me, I know it's part of the excitement to hear the scoop! What I can say is that she is 7 years old and very petite.  She has brown eyes, brown curly hair, and beautiful brown skin.  Her smile is contagious and her eyes show that she is spunky inside of that tiny frame.  She loves to laugh and eat pie! What I can't say is all of her story.  It's very complicated, emotionally complex, broken. And at her age of understanding all that is going on around her, well, it's her story and we want to respect that privacy for her.  While this is a time of joy and cele

Miserly Moms Recipes

After posting some ideas about tips for the family budget, I had many positive responses and am encouraged that many of you will be putting forth an effort to set a food budget and stay within that budget.  Take a visit here to view the previous post. Miserly Moms by Jonni McCoy is an excellent resource for money saving tips, menus, recipes, and family organization.  After looking it up on Amazon, apparently my copy is the "collectable" edition...oh geez, that makes me feel old.  There is a newer edition that Jonni has available in a Kindle version for $7.99 .  Note: Kindles weren't invented yet when I was starting out as a SAHM (Stay At Home Mom)  Ha.ha.laugh.   Here are some highlights from the book (the one made of paper) :   1. Don't Confuse Frugality with Depriving Yourself  2. Remove Little Wasters of Your Money 3. Don't Buy Everything at the Same Store 4. Make Your Own Whenever Possible 5. Eliminate Convenience Foods 6. Cut Back on Meats