Skip to main content

Reading Brings Us Together

This is a sweet moment that set the mood for the entire day!  This morning started out as a typical morning where we were all upstairs doing our morning jobs of making our beds, getting dressed, brushing our teeth, and reading our bibles.  As usual, I was the last one to get ready for the morning (because mom helps everyone else keep on task first).  I walked out of the room to get myself ready and came back to this!  My precious little ones were reading together in bed.  It looks like a set- up, I know, but it was a special moment and I just happened to have time to sneak downstairs to grab my camera.  The oldest, Quinn, loves to read and sets a great example to the younger children by sharing her passion for books!  I've got to send this photo in to Sonlight (home school curriculum) for their magazine promoting the joy of reading that truly resides in our home!

Sonlight?  Yes, we are a home schooling family and this year was our first year to use the Sonlight program. I have dreamed of reading together on the couch and the kids drooling over the book so much that they ask for more, but really, with little toddlers running around, I didn't think this was possible so I put off Sonlight for a couple years. We gave it a try this year with the kids being 9,7,5, and 2 1/2 years old, and I look forward to another school year in 2013-2014 using Sonlight.  Check it out here at sonlight.com.

Our latest read aloud was Mrs. Piggle Wiggle.  We read it either snuggling on the couch together (because that's just my ideal home schooling family image) or we read it at the dinning room table so the little ones can color while they listen to the story.  This setting is preferred by the kids by far.  Even the 2 1/2 year old likes the story reading time and will ask for it.  Surprising to me, he actually is listening and repeats parts of the story or follows along in games that the older kids will spin off from the book.  And yes, the kids do ask me to read more!

If you are a home schooling family and considering a curriculum for next year, I know this sounds like a commercial, but honestly, we switched to Sonlight this year and we look forward to it again and again!

Right now, in our family, we are going through the process of adopting two children from Ethiopia.  As a mom, it is important to me for my children to have close relationships together, build trust with each other, and build 'teamwork' skills.  If the children have these skills, then they will be more likely to mentor and help their new brother and sister to ease into their new family and also become part of the team of kids.  It's exciting.  I'm proud of the kids for their relationships with each other and very  much look forward to their new brother and sister joining the family as special new members to the team.  Home schooling in our family, has helped us to build this unity and togetherness that otherwise the busyness of life and extra events outside of the home would easily scoop away from us.

Enjoy your time together!  Family counts and builds friendships that will last a lifetime.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Airplane Tray Table Cover for Travel!

In my part of the world, the popular sport of choice for this season is sewing.  Sewing?  Yes, well, it's a winter sport for me with its challenges, obstacles, and skills to be improved upon!  Not to mention that it hasn't been above 10 degrees Fahrenheit for near a month and with wind chills at -25 to -40 tonight, one just has to stay inside in the comfy cozy walls of home! Out comes the sewing machine and projects left behind from seasons past.  This time, I decided to tackle a new project that will be put to good use in the future: an Airplane Tray Table Cover for future traveling!  Thinking of sunny Ethiopia just brightens the mood from the winter blues too! After searching the web, and viewing images of other "airplane tray table covers" (search it, you'll find them), I decided to create my own.  This is pic is of my first attempt.  Overall, it turned out fine and I am happy with the end result.  To give you an idea, this would slip over the airplane tra

Details, Details, and What Can We Do?

It's a girl!  Thank you for the excitement and prayers of joy for us as we announced our next adoption! We have kept our finger on the pulse in the adoption world since bringing home our son, and all I can contribute finding out about this adoption is by the direction of God the Father.  He "places the lonely in families!" - Psalm 68:6  I know that everyone is anxious to know more details, trust me, I know it's part of the excitement to hear the scoop! What I can say is that she is 7 years old and very petite.  She has brown eyes, brown curly hair, and beautiful brown skin.  Her smile is contagious and her eyes show that she is spunky inside of that tiny frame.  She loves to laugh and eat pie! What I can't say is all of her story.  It's very complicated, emotionally complex, broken. And at her age of understanding all that is going on around her, well, it's her story and we want to respect that privacy for her.  While this is a time of joy and cele

Miserly Moms Recipes

After posting some ideas about tips for the family budget, I had many positive responses and am encouraged that many of you will be putting forth an effort to set a food budget and stay within that budget.  Take a visit here to view the previous post. Miserly Moms by Jonni McCoy is an excellent resource for money saving tips, menus, recipes, and family organization.  After looking it up on Amazon, apparently my copy is the "collectable" edition...oh geez, that makes me feel old.  There is a newer edition that Jonni has available in a Kindle version for $7.99 .  Note: Kindles weren't invented yet when I was starting out as a SAHM (Stay At Home Mom)  Ha.ha.laugh.   Here are some highlights from the book (the one made of paper) :   1. Don't Confuse Frugality with Depriving Yourself  2. Remove Little Wasters of Your Money 3. Don't Buy Everything at the Same Store 4. Make Your Own Whenever Possible 5. Eliminate Convenience Foods 6. Cut Back on Meats