Skip to main content

Little Readers

These two funny kids grabbed some of my old books and decided to 'read' to each other!  They had the best stories!  The littlest one started and said, "Once upon a time far far away..." then the older one took over and said ...."there were two friends who lived far far away..and there were many games...far far away."  Then our daughter said, "and Jesus will be with them...."

I know the children over hear many conversations about the adoption and the process that we are in.  We are guarded with our words knowing that little ears are near and little minds are active to take even minor information and turn it into something major just because it is unfamiliar to them.  In times like these when the kids are playing or story telling about adoption are times when I know they are understanding and internalizing what they hear talk of.  It comforts my heart to know that their little hearts are being moved and stretched to understand what adoption means in the acceptance of a new life into our family.

MJ, the 2 1/2 year old that is quite verbal, told me the other day that he wasn't going to play with his new sister.  He told me that he was only going to play with his new brother, him and all the boys that he could name were going to have this great time playing together.  MJ went into a cute story of the adventures they were going to have together.  After listening I asked, "what about your sister?  She might want to play too?"  to which he responded, "the girls will play with the girl and the boys will play with the boy.  She is for Quinn and Buggy."

Speaking of cute kid stories and how they are processing the meaning of adoption, I have one from my nephew who just turned 3 years old.  He is a talker too and quite a story teller.  After watching an episode of Wonder Pets on t.v. where they rescued a baby elephant from Africa, my nephew said, "Africa!  That's where Uncle Todd is going to pick up the kids!"  Later my nephew went to the kitchen to play.  He was opening the lower cabinet and sitting inside then would exit the cabinet again.  He told his mom that he was getting on an airplane and going to Africa to pick up some kids like his Uncle Todd.

This gave my sister an opportunity to talk to her child about adoption, and in three year old terms, what that meant for the new cousins he would have.

It's wonderful to see the impact that the adoption will have not only on our children and family, but on the families and friends around us too.  Spreading the joy!  I pray that that's how it happens.  For now, I can only imagine but one day I'll know first hand.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Airplane Tray Table Cover for Travel!

In my part of the world, the popular sport of choice for this season is sewing.  Sewing?  Yes, well, it's a winter sport for me with its challenges, obstacles, and skills to be improved upon!  Not to mention that it hasn't been above 10 degrees Fahrenheit for near a month and with wind chills at -25 to -40 tonight, one just has to stay inside in the comfy cozy walls of home! Out comes the sewing machine and projects left behind from seasons past.  This time, I decided to tackle a new project that will be put to good use in the future: an Airplane Tray Table Cover for future traveling!  Thinking of sunny Ethiopia just brightens the mood from the winter blues too! After searching the web, and viewing images of other "airplane tray table covers" (search it, you'll find them), I decided to create my own.  This is pic is of my first attempt.  Overall, it turned out fine and I am happy with the end result.  To give you an idea, this would slip over...

Miserly Moms Recipes

After posting some ideas about tips for the family budget, I had many positive responses and am encouraged that many of you will be putting forth an effort to set a food budget and stay within that budget.  Take a visit here to view the previous post. Miserly Moms by Jonni McCoy is an excellent resource for money saving tips, menus, recipes, and family organization.  After looking it up on Amazon, apparently my copy is the "collectable" edition...oh geez, that makes me feel old.  There is a newer edition that Jonni has available in a Kindle version for $7.99 .  Note: Kindles weren't invented yet when I was starting out as a SAHM (Stay At Home Mom)  Ha.ha.laugh.   Here are some highlights from the book (the one made of paper) :   1. Don't Confuse Frugality with Depriving Yourself  2. Remove Little Wasters of Your Money 3. Don't Buy Everything at the Same Store 4. Make Your Own Whenever Possible 5. Eliminate Convenience Foods ...

The "firsts" that I don't want to share

The firsts that I don't want to share. When we started our adoption process nearly 3 years ago, Christmas was always a mile marker.  We began in December 2012 and Christmas was always the one event that we wished for Tarik to be home. "Maybe next Christmas" turned into "maybe next Christmas."  When asked when we thought that Tarik would be home, we'd say, "hopefully by Christmas." The holidays were hard in the waiting time and just wanting the family to all be together for those holiday moments pulled at our hearts.   Finally, this year, 2015 was our first Christmas home with our new son!  And the reality of Christmas, couldn't have been farther from what I ever imagined of our first Christmas to be together.  It was Tarik's first Christmas home.  A time to celebrate and be joyful!  After all this time of waiting.  But it also turned into the first Christmas without my dad.  Not a 'first' I want to share. My dad is a heal...