Skip to main content

Well I Never!

"Never say never" is surely a quote I've heard one too many times, and oh how true it is.  The older I get the more I inwardly grin when I hear people say that phrase.  One just never knows what may happen next!

When I was a child I would say "I'll never kiss a boy."  When I was a teen I would say, "I'll never read just for the fun of it." and when I was a young adult I would say, "I'll never be a stay-at-home mom." And before I had children I would say, "I'll never own a mini-van." Before my brain turned to mush after having children I would say, "I'll never forget how old I am!" But it' true, sometimes I do!
 
I never thought I'd be a stay-at-home mom.  I am.  I never thought I'd ever home school our children.  I do.  I never ever thought about adoption especially overseas.  And here we are.  And I'd never thought it would take 32 weeks to be still waiting for a match through our adoption process, but ...well, you know that saga continues. 

I'll never....     well, you get the idea.  I'm sure there are things in your life that you thought you'd never do or never experience.  But life happens, hearts change, decisions are made, consequences spiral, and well, the "nevers" might just hit us as a reality of life. Who knows -  Some of those "I nevers" may turn into things of great joy in our lives!

Do you think Daniel would've been caught saying, "I'll never step foot in a lion's den!"
Or maybe Samson said, "I'll never reveal the secret of my strength."  I can imagine the thoughts of Noah's wife wondering, "I'll never hear the end of this!" with all the ridicule over the building of the Ark. Did Mary think, "I'll never be an adequate mother." Did the Israelites cry, "We'll never get out of this desert!" Or didn't Peter say, "I'd never deny your name" when speaking to Jesus?

We say these "I'll nevers" out of our ideals, hopes, expectations, ignorance, naivete's, or even fears of the future but only when we are standing in one small frame of time.  "I'll never kiss a boy" for an easy example, was said from a child's ideal thought for the future but only from the understanding and perspective of a small child during that small frame of time.  And maybe from the fear that boys have 'cooties.'  We make this large claim - NEVER - with a tiny mindset.

The truth is that if we are living our lives through what Jesus is calling us to do, and to be to this world, then the only "I never" statement that we should hold tight to is when God the Father tells us "I will never leave you nor forsake you." (Hebrews 13:5) If we choose to view our life through only our tiny windows in time then we miss what bigger picture the Lord sees for us.  If we accumulate the "I'll nevers" then we quench our potential in a richer life that Christ's eyes see for us. Christ's eyes see the bigger picture.  He sees our life in an eternal perspective and He cares so much that He wants you to see life through this perspective: Hope for the future and Love for all people through the GRACE that is given to us. 

Jeremiah 29:11-13 tells us this: 11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. 12 Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. 13 You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.

I pray that our eyes are opened to see what He sees. That our hearts are open to feel what He feels.  And that our minds our open to stop the "I'll nevers" and start being bold in the courage given by  Jesus and the life we have through Him.  As the book of Jeremiah states, we will find God when we seek Him with all our hearts.  We will know Him more and see the plan He has for us. There are no limits in what Jesus can and will do in our lives!  His eyes see eternity.

"Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.” Deuteronomy 31:6

So here we go week 33 and entering a new month, month 7 of waiting!  We're hopeful. Excited and full of HOPE to see new possibilities, new experiences, and to have a new set of eyes for what the Lord has to show me this day and in the future.

Thanks for visiting here! Thank you for praying and continuing to stick with us through this time! We are praying for you too - thankful for you and hoping that the Lord touches your heart too while you wait with us.  Stay tuned!












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Airplane Tray Table Cover for Travel!

In my part of the world, the popular sport of choice for this season is sewing.  Sewing?  Yes, well, it's a winter sport for me with its challenges, obstacles, and skills to be improved upon!  Not to mention that it hasn't been above 10 degrees Fahrenheit for near a month and with wind chills at -25 to -40 tonight, one just has to stay inside in the comfy cozy walls of home! Out comes the sewing machine and projects left behind from seasons past.  This time, I decided to tackle a new project that will be put to good use in the future: an Airplane Tray Table Cover for future traveling!  Thinking of sunny Ethiopia just brightens the mood from the winter blues too! After searching the web, and viewing images of other "airplane tray table covers" (search it, you'll find them), I decided to create my own.  This is pic is of my first attempt.  Overall, it turned out fine and I am happy with the end result.  To give you an idea, this would slip over the airplane tra

Details, Details, and What Can We Do?

It's a girl!  Thank you for the excitement and prayers of joy for us as we announced our next adoption! We have kept our finger on the pulse in the adoption world since bringing home our son, and all I can contribute finding out about this adoption is by the direction of God the Father.  He "places the lonely in families!" - Psalm 68:6  I know that everyone is anxious to know more details, trust me, I know it's part of the excitement to hear the scoop! What I can say is that she is 7 years old and very petite.  She has brown eyes, brown curly hair, and beautiful brown skin.  Her smile is contagious and her eyes show that she is spunky inside of that tiny frame.  She loves to laugh and eat pie! What I can't say is all of her story.  It's very complicated, emotionally complex, broken. And at her age of understanding all that is going on around her, well, it's her story and we want to respect that privacy for her.  While this is a time of joy and cele

Miserly Moms Recipes

After posting some ideas about tips for the family budget, I had many positive responses and am encouraged that many of you will be putting forth an effort to set a food budget and stay within that budget.  Take a visit here to view the previous post. Miserly Moms by Jonni McCoy is an excellent resource for money saving tips, menus, recipes, and family organization.  After looking it up on Amazon, apparently my copy is the "collectable" edition...oh geez, that makes me feel old.  There is a newer edition that Jonni has available in a Kindle version for $7.99 .  Note: Kindles weren't invented yet when I was starting out as a SAHM (Stay At Home Mom)  Ha.ha.laugh.   Here are some highlights from the book (the one made of paper) :   1. Don't Confuse Frugality with Depriving Yourself  2. Remove Little Wasters of Your Money 3. Don't Buy Everything at the Same Store 4. Make Your Own Whenever Possible 5. Eliminate Convenience Foods 6. Cut Back on Meats