Skip to main content

Strength for the Race




In an earlier post I was visiting a passage in James that encourages us in the midst of trials to "consider" it, or to BRING IT to JOY.  Visit here to read.  Today, I'd like to take a moment to soak in the following verse.

James 1:4 "But endurance must do its complete work, so that you may be mature and complete, lacking nothing." 

Endurance.  When I hear that word the first thing that comes to my mind is running.  When I was in high school I ran on the track team - A distance runner.  Not by any means great at it, but my basketball and volleyball coach was also the track coach.  She encouraged us all to run on the track team in order to keep our bodies active and in shape for the other sports too.  Made sense. Track was my least favorite.  Dressed in the uniform of short shorts and a tank top and running with snow flurries flying just isn't enjoyable for me.  I don't know? I am crazy?  

I remember one track meet in particular was very cold.  I was running the mile or two-mile (fading memory) and was keeping a steady pace.  Another gal, on another team, seemed to be right in step with me for a quite a bit.  I remember just randomly starting to talk to her saying something to the effects of "so are you enjoying this?" and then "I seriously don't mind if you just step ahead."  Laugh. laugh.  That is just how much my heart was not at all into running on the track team!  But, I knew that if I didn't practice, didn't run everyday, didn't work out with the rest of the team that once volleyball or basketball came around the other girls would be in shape and I wouldn't.  (It was a super small school that I attended.  If you played one sport, you played them all.  And yes, just about everyone made the team!)   

In the Bible Paul tells us in 1 Corinthians 9:24 " You know that many runners enter a race, and only one of them wins the prize. So run to win!"  

Run to win! What are we running for again? Well, it's not for the track team that I couldn't stand to be on.  It is for the race of life in us given by Christ. This race has the finish ribbon at the end reading "to God be the glory." I imagine Jesus at the finish line giving a pat on the back and a smile wide while as his voice gently says "well done." That is what we run for. 

It's sometimes difficult running on the track that is set before us.  It's down right tiring sometimes and one just wants to look to a neighbor and say, 'go ahead, you just do it instead. I'm tired out and just don't care anymore. These struggles are too hard.'  Or, one might think, 'this world is against me and it's breaking my stride.'  'Who put that rock in my path? Remember what endurance brings....

What is James telling us?  "But endurance must do it's complete work...so that you may be mature and complete, lacking nothing."   

"Endurance takes time.  Endurance takes day-after-day action.  Endurance must be guided by God. Otherwise it won't do it's job- it will be incomplete.  It will lack.  I must consent to let endurance shape and mold me until I am complete.  When I submit to the process of endurance and allow the shaping and strengthening of my faith, the goal is ultimately reached; completeness, perfection, lacking nothing."  - Dr. Chip Henderson 

Romans 5:4  "And endurance develops strength of character, and character strengthens our confident hope of salvation."

Hebrews 12:1-2 "Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God."

As you go through your day and weeks to come, take time to consider your endurance training. Are you turning to God for your strength as you run this race?  Are you looking to know and understand Him more as He works with you?  The Lord has great plans for us.  He loves us and wants what is best for us, for us to LACK nothing and to be complete in HIM. 

We are praying for strength for the race and grace for the race that is set before us.  We pray for you too and are so thankful for your prayers and encouragement as we continue to press on while we wait for the next step to come in our adoption process.  Thank you for caring! And may you turn to the Lord for strength as you run your race!!  God bless!  

Erin 

You can explore more from Bible Studies for Life and Dr. Chip Henderson at: http://blog.lifeway.com/biblestudiesforlife/adults/  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Airplane Tray Table Cover for Travel!

In my part of the world, the popular sport of choice for this season is sewing.  Sewing?  Yes, well, it's a winter sport for me with its challenges, obstacles, and skills to be improved upon!  Not to mention that it hasn't been above 10 degrees Fahrenheit for near a month and with wind chills at -25 to -40 tonight, one just has to stay inside in the comfy cozy walls of home! Out comes the sewing machine and projects left behind from seasons past.  This time, I decided to tackle a new project that will be put to good use in the future: an Airplane Tray Table Cover for future traveling!  Thinking of sunny Ethiopia just brightens the mood from the winter blues too! After searching the web, and viewing images of other "airplane tray table covers" (search it, you'll find them), I decided to create my own.  This is pic is of my first attempt.  Overall, it turned out fine and I am happy with the end result.  To give you an idea, this would slip over the airplane tra

Details, Details, and What Can We Do?

It's a girl!  Thank you for the excitement and prayers of joy for us as we announced our next adoption! We have kept our finger on the pulse in the adoption world since bringing home our son, and all I can contribute finding out about this adoption is by the direction of God the Father.  He "places the lonely in families!" - Psalm 68:6  I know that everyone is anxious to know more details, trust me, I know it's part of the excitement to hear the scoop! What I can say is that she is 7 years old and very petite.  She has brown eyes, brown curly hair, and beautiful brown skin.  Her smile is contagious and her eyes show that she is spunky inside of that tiny frame.  She loves to laugh and eat pie! What I can't say is all of her story.  It's very complicated, emotionally complex, broken. And at her age of understanding all that is going on around her, well, it's her story and we want to respect that privacy for her.  While this is a time of joy and cele

Miserly Moms Recipes

After posting some ideas about tips for the family budget, I had many positive responses and am encouraged that many of you will be putting forth an effort to set a food budget and stay within that budget.  Take a visit here to view the previous post. Miserly Moms by Jonni McCoy is an excellent resource for money saving tips, menus, recipes, and family organization.  After looking it up on Amazon, apparently my copy is the "collectable" edition...oh geez, that makes me feel old.  There is a newer edition that Jonni has available in a Kindle version for $7.99 .  Note: Kindles weren't invented yet when I was starting out as a SAHM (Stay At Home Mom)  Ha.ha.laugh.   Here are some highlights from the book (the one made of paper) :   1. Don't Confuse Frugality with Depriving Yourself  2. Remove Little Wasters of Your Money 3. Don't Buy Everything at the Same Store 4. Make Your Own Whenever Possible 5. Eliminate Convenience Foods 6. Cut Back on Meats