Skip to main content

Haiti Trip Day Three

Haiti Trip Day Three Journal Entry

Tuesday 6:15 a.m. Rise and Shine! Read my Bible this morning in my favorite verse, Jer.29:11 but reading through verse 14 in thinking about the freedom in Christ and how bound I keep myself- wanting to be free from the shackles and walk out the door of the jail to that freedom in the life Christ offers.  So many times I focus my mind on worthless things, but today I want to focus on what the Lord will have me see and what He wants me to do for Him today.

Breakfast today was very good- cold oatmeal.  I had made the oatmeal last night while making my dinner then put the oatmeal in the fridge/cooler.  First cold thing in my mouth in three days and it was great.

This morning was busy as we made plans for the mural, assessed the supplies in the shed left from other work groups, and saw what paint colors we had to work with.  We measured the gate then with random supplies, mostly that we had brought with us, we sketched out the drawing.  A blessing that I had brought my sketch book and crayons along with me!  They came in very handy.  To let the guys know what colors to get at the paint store I gathered pieces of flower petals, leaves, and even a blue lid of something from the kitchen.  We used duct tape and stuck all the gathered things to that strip of tape.

I drew pictures of the kind of brushes that I wanted to get and we measured the paint roller size by making pen marks on Lincoln's arm so he'd know what size roller pad would fit on the metal rollers that we had in the shed.  It was tricky but a good challenge.

 Orphanage Homes 
 
Orphanage Gate "Before" picture 

Making sketches and making the supplies list 

While Lincoln and the Pastor went to town for supplies I helped Katelyn and Daniel with mapping out English lessons that would be taught to the children throughout the summer.  Daniel and I drew pictures of short vowel characters to help the kids remember the sounds, and we made sight word flash cards.  It was a blessing to be able to help with this as I know that teaching is a talent God has gifted to me and now I can use it to help the children in Haiti.

After lunch our team reviewed our Bible lesson and games so we would be ready to go with day 2 at Lanzac Church.  Today's lesson is about Jesus calms the storm.

                                          Chuck, Barb, and Pastor playing a game with the kids
                                           Barb and me helping the kids with their craft project

The lesson went much more smooth as there was a smaller group of about 80 or 90 kids, maybe 75...not really sure but they were much more attentive today and interested in the Bible lesson and the games.

I was teaching the lesson today and it was one of those "wow" moments when God just filled me and used me to share His words.  I felt so grateful to be there in Haiti to be able to share about turning to Jesus as our rescuer in times of trouble.  What if that is the only time those children hear about Jesus?  What if that is the first time they have been told that Jesus is there for them and loves them?  What about all those who haven't heard?  Such a blessing to be one of those who spread the good news and hope that is offered by Jesus' love.

The kids there were fun to be with but the language difference is hard.  I tried to smile a lot (so much that my face would twitch from just smiling and smiling! lol!) I learned a few phrases and simple words but it's more of a challenge that I expected it would be.
 Sharing the Gospel story and preparing the craft directions
"Follow Your Heart" written on her shirt 

Several of the children at the Bible lesson came with siblings and the older ones were amazing at helping the younger ones.  They would share their seat, and be sure they had a snack and a water for their family.

On the ride home I sat with Chuck in the back of the pick-up truck.  It was a great experience to see the community and observe the lifestyle of the children that we had just ministered to.  I saw many things- like today I noticed how all the signs/advertisements were hand painted.  I saw a man sitting in the chair at the barber shop.  I saw the markets on the streets and one particular I thought my son would like.  That one was selling fruits like mango and pineapple which is Roosky's favorite.  Many times I saw refrigerators on their backs as they are used that way as a deep chest cooler.  Some unplugged with no power but used as a cooler space.  I saw homes and communities.  Mommies were combing their daughters' hair and brothers were helping their sisters across the road.  Friends sat together on the sidewalk and talked.  They must be good friends together in Haiti as they seem to sit and talk a lot.

When we got back to the guest house I was beat.  We changed out of our sweaty clothes and sat for a bit before taking a walk to the beach.  I say beach lightly because it isn't sandy and a peaceful haven as might be the first thought of 'walking to the beach.'  It was an experience in itself.  We walked through a small fishing community with just a few homes, maybe 7.  One home had an old tractor tire on it's side and used it as a washtub for laundry.  The homes were made of fabrics for the walls on a wooden structure.  Some tin pieces were used here and there too.  All had dirt floors, no running water, and were about 6' by 8' in size.






A precious little girl, maybe six years old, walked by us on the narrow path.  She was only wearing a pair of green underwear.  I so wished I could say to her, "you are so special to Jesus" and "Jesus loves you" but I couldn't speak the language and she just passed by not even making eye contact with any of us.  I'm sure she is loved by her family but I hope she knows she is loved by Jesus so very much.


The beach was very rocky.  All smooth pebbles but large enough in size that it was easy to stumble when walking.  There was so much trash all around that barely a 3' square space was free of some kind of trash item.  Anything from lost shoes to empty bags to deodorant sticks, hot sauce bottle, just anything was lying around.  Barb and I went through the trash to find shells, sea glass, and interesting rocks.


After dinner, which for me was black beans and potatoes, it was our team's turn to do the dishes.  Then the full group met for a time to reflect on the day and pray together.  We plan to get up in the morning and meet at the gate to paint at 5:45 a.m. This way we can beat the heat and the blaring morning sun that hits directly on the gate.   Good night!

***  About the paint store:  Lincoln and Pastor went to the paint store, with our list.  When they returned Lincoln brought up about 5 gallons of paint.  The store had no quart sizes.  He said the store was not only a paint store but a guinea pig breeder, ducks, and geese too.  There were only about 80 cans of paint total and they came in only 8 colors.  No paint thinner and only oil based paint.  Barely a variety of brushes and limited at that.  No rollers and no roller pads.  The lady at the store considered pink and red the same color and she wouldn't let them open the paint lid to see the color inside.  Well, this mural will be done Haitian style with much of the Lord's help!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Airplane Tray Table Cover for Travel!

In my part of the world, the popular sport of choice for this season is sewing.  Sewing?  Yes, well, it's a winter sport for me with its challenges, obstacles, and skills to be improved upon!  Not to mention that it hasn't been above 10 degrees Fahrenheit for near a month and with wind chills at -25 to -40 tonight, one just has to stay inside in the comfy cozy walls of home! Out comes the sewing machine and projects left behind from seasons past.  This time, I decided to tackle a new project that will be put to good use in the future: an Airplane Tray Table Cover for future traveling!  Thinking of sunny Ethiopia just brightens the mood from the winter blues too! After searching the web, and viewing images of other "airplane tray table covers" (search it, you'll find them), I decided to create my own.  This is pic is of my first attempt.  Overall, it turned out fine and I am happy with the end result.  To give you an idea, this would slip over the airplane tra

Details, Details, and What Can We Do?

It's a girl!  Thank you for the excitement and prayers of joy for us as we announced our next adoption! We have kept our finger on the pulse in the adoption world since bringing home our son, and all I can contribute finding out about this adoption is by the direction of God the Father.  He "places the lonely in families!" - Psalm 68:6  I know that everyone is anxious to know more details, trust me, I know it's part of the excitement to hear the scoop! What I can say is that she is 7 years old and very petite.  She has brown eyes, brown curly hair, and beautiful brown skin.  Her smile is contagious and her eyes show that she is spunky inside of that tiny frame.  She loves to laugh and eat pie! What I can't say is all of her story.  It's very complicated, emotionally complex, broken. And at her age of understanding all that is going on around her, well, it's her story and we want to respect that privacy for her.  While this is a time of joy and cele

Miserly Moms Recipes

After posting some ideas about tips for the family budget, I had many positive responses and am encouraged that many of you will be putting forth an effort to set a food budget and stay within that budget.  Take a visit here to view the previous post. Miserly Moms by Jonni McCoy is an excellent resource for money saving tips, menus, recipes, and family organization.  After looking it up on Amazon, apparently my copy is the "collectable" edition...oh geez, that makes me feel old.  There is a newer edition that Jonni has available in a Kindle version for $7.99 .  Note: Kindles weren't invented yet when I was starting out as a SAHM (Stay At Home Mom)  Ha.ha.laugh.   Here are some highlights from the book (the one made of paper) :   1. Don't Confuse Frugality with Depriving Yourself  2. Remove Little Wasters of Your Money 3. Don't Buy Everything at the Same Store 4. Make Your Own Whenever Possible 5. Eliminate Convenience Foods 6. Cut Back on Meats