Skip to main content

This 8 Week Old Baby Walks!

Celebrating and praising the Lord for bringing Tarik home!  Today marks 8 weeks that Tarik has been home in the United States with his forever family!  Everyday we thank our God for this precious gift through adoption!

Tarik is doing amazing! We can tell he is covered in prayer and that God's hand is upon him.  God's story in Tarik's life continues to unfold.

I can honestly explain these last 8 weeks best by comparing it to having a new born baby. We are new to each other.  And just like a new mom to a newborn baby, I am learning about my child.  What sounds he makes mean that he is happy.  What sounds and facial expressions translate to meaning he wants something, he's hungry, or getting bored with a toy.  Remember we don't speak the same language. What are his interests, his likes and dislikes, his food preferences, his temperament...and the list goes on and on.  It is my joy of a responsibility as a mom to learn about and respond to my son.

He is learning about me too.  And the rest of his family with daddy and his 4 siblings.  What does mommy mean when she says "no, that's dangerous"?  Why does climbing on the table get everyone in an uproar? What I just did made my sisters laugh.  My brother doesn't like it when I play that game with him.  If I am hungry, I say "eat." And Tarik's lists of learning about us goes on and on.

From the blank slate of not knowing anything that makes this boy tick, these last 8 weeks have been a real adventure! Just like having an 8 week old in your house, but this one walks, runs, climbs, laughs, cries, hugs, screams, and we are figuring all of this out together as we bond as a family.

I can say that people expect too much and don't see this side of adoption. And again in this post, that's why I'm sharing our real life. Having a new member in the house, is a challenge.  Physically, mentally, and emotionally we are all trying to be at the top of our game giving our best efforts, and it's exhausting. I can say that we have tried to keep up with our normal schedules in life, but that's just not happening.  So we slow down, back off of commitments, and just be home together learning about each other.

Try to understand, it's not personal that we are saying "no" or "that's too much for us right now," but when we say "family first" we actually mean it.  Our 8 week old deserves our time and our entire family can use the break.  We are "busy" being in LOVE and counting our BLESSINGS!

We treasure your prayers and feel the peace, strength, and comfort they bring us every day.  Please continue to pray for us as we go through this continued journey of adoption!

About Tarik:
Favorite Foods:  Lasagna, Yogurt
Favorite Song: Are You Sleeping Brother John, Happy Birthday, Skip to My Lou
Favorite Toys: Balls, Toys with buttons that make sounds
Fun Activity: Playing tent under the covers, dancing
Most frequently used words:  Beep-beep, eat, towel (means 'stop' in Amharic/Ethiopian language)
Likes:  Music, Singing, Bath time, Swinging, Sandbox play
Dislikes: When mommy doesn't let him have the house phone (although he persistently tries), crunchy foods, juice, green beans

Major steps: Hugging, allowing us to comfort him when he is hurt, learning over 15 English words, calling me "mommy" instead of "nanny," and yesterday for the first time he ate a cracker (first hard food and not just all mushy foods)


Psalm 34:1- 3
I will praise the Lord at all times.
    I will constantly speak his praises.
I will boast only in the Lord;
    let all who are helpless take heart.
Come, let us tell of the Lord’s greatness;
    let us exalt his name together.


Comments

  1. Thank you for the update and your honesty! You're still in newborn phase and I'm glad you have the wisdom to slow down and take a step back. Please let me know if your older kids need rides to things! I have two free seats in my car! I saw Tarik and Todd in Food Lion a few weeks ago and his cheerful little "hi!" melted my heart!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Airplane Tray Table Cover for Travel!

In my part of the world, the popular sport of choice for this season is sewing.  Sewing?  Yes, well, it's a winter sport for me with its challenges, obstacles, and skills to be improved upon!  Not to mention that it hasn't been above 10 degrees Fahrenheit for near a month and with wind chills at -25 to -40 tonight, one just has to stay inside in the comfy cozy walls of home! Out comes the sewing machine and projects left behind from seasons past.  This time, I decided to tackle a new project that will be put to good use in the future: an Airplane Tray Table Cover for future traveling!  Thinking of sunny Ethiopia just brightens the mood from the winter blues too! After searching the web, and viewing images of other "airplane tray table covers" (search it, you'll find them), I decided to create my own.  This is pic is of my first attempt.  Overall, it turned out fine and I am happy with the end result.  To give you an idea, this would slip over the airplane tra

Details, Details, and What Can We Do?

It's a girl!  Thank you for the excitement and prayers of joy for us as we announced our next adoption! We have kept our finger on the pulse in the adoption world since bringing home our son, and all I can contribute finding out about this adoption is by the direction of God the Father.  He "places the lonely in families!" - Psalm 68:6  I know that everyone is anxious to know more details, trust me, I know it's part of the excitement to hear the scoop! What I can say is that she is 7 years old and very petite.  She has brown eyes, brown curly hair, and beautiful brown skin.  Her smile is contagious and her eyes show that she is spunky inside of that tiny frame.  She loves to laugh and eat pie! What I can't say is all of her story.  It's very complicated, emotionally complex, broken. And at her age of understanding all that is going on around her, well, it's her story and we want to respect that privacy for her.  While this is a time of joy and cele

Miserly Moms Recipes

After posting some ideas about tips for the family budget, I had many positive responses and am encouraged that many of you will be putting forth an effort to set a food budget and stay within that budget.  Take a visit here to view the previous post. Miserly Moms by Jonni McCoy is an excellent resource for money saving tips, menus, recipes, and family organization.  After looking it up on Amazon, apparently my copy is the "collectable" edition...oh geez, that makes me feel old.  There is a newer edition that Jonni has available in a Kindle version for $7.99 .  Note: Kindles weren't invented yet when I was starting out as a SAHM (Stay At Home Mom)  Ha.ha.laugh.   Here are some highlights from the book (the one made of paper) :   1. Don't Confuse Frugality with Depriving Yourself  2. Remove Little Wasters of Your Money 3. Don't Buy Everything at the Same Store 4. Make Your Own Whenever Possible 5. Eliminate Convenience Foods 6. Cut Back on Meats